our crazy little world. read on if you dare. i promise you'll giggle.

We Three

We Three

Thursday, September 22, 2011

well. she's five.

Eileen and I, in the car, leaving the Mall after she'd gotten her ears pierced. 


Eileen:  Mommy. Ashlyn told me that when they put that gun  with the earrings up to my ear that it would hurt. 
Me: mmm-hmm. 
Eileen: Well, actually, .... (wait for it)... she was right.


Cue me cracking up; as I completely expected her to save one up Ashlyn (as 5year olds do these days) and say that it hadn't hurt at all!


I have a five year old. Repeat. I have a five year old. Repeat. I have a five year old.


Most days I still don't quite feel like a Mom. like, I'm still me. but I have this kid. And she's FIVE. how'd that happen? where did the last five years go? Why don't I remember them? (Then again, I don't remember what I wore yesterday.. so this shouldn't be a shock to me). 


 As far as birthdays go, I'd say this girl had one of the best ever. She woke up to some Twinkle Toes from Josh and Sarah. Aunt Sissy, Bill and I went to school in the afternoon with cupcakes for the kiddos. (At one point she'd wanted cookies..which are my specialty.. but seeing as how cupcakes are way easier and faster to make.. I had Josh trick her into cupcakes by offering PURPLE frosting.  I even figured out all by myself to combine blue & red to make Purple.)


After the Cupcake Chaos, Eileen came back to the office with me. I had a surprise in my purse for her. Gum. Yep. Gum. Her reaction would be about what mine would be if someone offered me a free for all shopping trip to Tiffany's. Several years ago we'd arbitrarily chosen age 5 as the time when she would be allowed gum. Pretty sure she's been counting down the days for the past 730 days. She was presented with Trident Bubble Gum and Trident Orange Burst. She chewed roughly 8 pieces of the pink stuff in a four hour period.  During which we had serious discussions about how we don't smack our gum or chew it like a cow. I'm not entirely sure that sunk in until I told her Grandpa would yell at her if she smacked. (not that Grandpa actually ever yells at the Perfect Grandchild). 


Upon arrival at Uncle Scripps house she beebopped around in the seizure inducing shoes. And then promptly settled down next to Mommy to watch her new Barbie movie (groan) on one of my monitor's while I worked on the other. 

And then, when she could stand it no longer, we finally left. For the Mall. Where the ears would be pierced. As is the usual with our crazy little family, all four of us were at Claire's for the event. I'm pretty sure the poor guy piercing her lobes was more flabbergasted by four parents and three cameras and one little girl not the least bit phased. Eileen had already decided on Hello Kitty starter earrings (which Ashlyn and Bella both have). She sat in that chair brave as I've ever seen.  Pretty sure she really wanted to cry after the first ear, but she just held her breath and clamped her mouth shut. Also possible she cut off the circulation to Josh's hand she was holding. 


 We then had a group lesson on how to clean the earrings. Bill and Josh mysteriously disappeared to other parts of the store. Perhaps they needed some bling? Sarah & I will soon have doctorate's in cleanings of new ear holes. 


Just in time for a small monsoon, we all headed out to dinner. The birthday girl insistsed  on McDonald's for her dinner. 


 Thankfully, Daddy had already figured that one out. She sat and ate her Happy Meal while the Parentals chowed on Pizza at Brixx. yumm. Oh, and there was an amazing Birthday Rainbow just out the window. Not an awful end to one heck of a day for the Monkey. 


So there ya go. We have a five year old. It's pretty crazy to fathom.


Tomorrow she'll come back to me and Bill's, where her room will be newly painted (and even wallpaper on one wall!) and of course the new bunkbeds. And Grandpa and Beanie will be here. And of course, the party with friends on Saturday. Is it wrong that I want her life!?








I'd say that about covers it for today. Happy Birthday to one heck of a kid. She brings an immense amount of joy to our lives. We're blessed with a happy healthy kid. Not one of us takes that for granted. 









No comments:

Post a Comment