our crazy little world. read on if you dare. i promise you'll giggle.

We Three

We Three

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Family of Six (not counting the pups)...

Our version of Modern Family has added a member. 

Edith Kay Loebner arrived on Wed, 12/14/11, a little before noon.  She weighs in at 7lbs, 4oz.. and is 20inches long.

Perfectly perfect. 
She looks just like her mommy. 

And Big Sister Eileen is enamored. Not to mention fascinated by this whole pregnancy thing.

Bill, Eileen and I went to go meet Edie Kay yesterday. We came bearing Pumpkin Pancakes for Sarah, and regular pancakes for Josh (of which Eileen ate as much as she could).

Fommie (Sarah's mom and first time Grandmommy) was there, glowing of course. 

Eileen made a beeline for baby. Which is about the time Josh, Bill and I moved as one to ensure a buffer around the Yellow Blur.  In all honesty, Eileen was quite gentle. So very curious. Since I am Mother of the Year, I had of course, NOT trimmed her nails. So it was an event of Olympic Caliber to make sure Edie Kay didn't end up as our version of ScarFace. 

Little Edie was a tad fussy when Eileen held her, which may or may not have had to do with the fact that Eileen was holding her sort of kind of a little bit almost upside down. So then I took her with Eileen close at hand. 
"mommy. she doesn't have any eyebrows!"
"well, you didn't either when you were born."
"WHAT?!" 

"Mommy. Heehee. Her ears are so tiny!" 
"Mommy.Is Edie breathing?"  (this was the part where Edie was snuggled against my shoulder and I had a mild panic attack. Rest assured, Edie was breathing quite well).

I really don't remember Eileen being that small. I seriously don't.  If it weren't for the (literally) thousands of pictures, I might be convinced Eileen was never actually a new born.  I also forgot how after about 10minutes of holding baby, that little new born head suddenly weighs 95lbs. So there was Sarah, a brand-new mommy, instructing me to put the (SUPER DUPER REALLY COOL NEW LOOKING SINCE I HAD A KID) Boppy under my arm for support. 

Sarah was in great spirits and looked beautiful. Tired, yes. 
"Sarah. Why are you so tired. You've been in bed all day..."
"Sarah. Is your belly flat now? Can I touch it? It's squishy! What? Why does it hurt?"  

Ahh. Children. Eileen was convinced there was no reason on the planet Sarah should be tired or sore. 

I may start calling Sarah "Saint Sarah."

<---  and yes. this is Cousin Carl. I mean HELLOOO. Of course Edie's Elf was there. He knows where she is. (i mean serious kudos to Josh & Sarah for thinking of that. Eileen totally noticed Carl and was uber excited on Edie's behalf). 

When it was time to leave, Eileen was really sad and quiet. She wanted so much to stay and do all things baby. Once we got home and looked at all the pictures it helped.

At bedtime after we'd read our story, and the lights were out, I could tell she was thinking, and thinking hard.  
"Mommy"  (a ton of genuine concern in her voice).
"Why can't Sarah move or feel her left leg?"

Oh if I could have squeezed her forever I would have. 
When we'd been at the hospital, not all of Sarah's epidural had worn off. So her left leg was still numb and she couldn't really move it, which she mentioned at some point.  Not unusual and not a big deal. The adults didn't say much about it, and Eileen didn't ask anything. But clearly it was on her mind, and she was upset/scared that something was wrong with Sarah. After explaining about the medicine, I think she felt better.... tho I am still not sure she believed me. 


<--- Of course, I do put a lot of effort into having her believe there are elves rappelling around our house in the middle of the night, so why would she believe what I said about Sarah's leg? 

We are so happy, and blessed, for Edie Kay to be here safe and sound. So happy for Eileen to have a little sister. She can't wait to teach her things (there are plans for 'How to Stand' lessons. next week). We are so happy for Josh and Sarah to have a new addition to their family. To our family. 

Because, we are indeed, a Family of Six. 



No comments:

Post a Comment